Wednesday, July 30, 2014

NCFA: Will I Love Her?

94af01308d1182b92fb84ef54eb83c4e

Love and Attachment in Adoption

By Daniel Nehrbass, PH.D.

When my best friend heard that my wife and I were planning to adopt, he asked, “Do you think you will be able to love your child as much as you would if she were your own?”

Those of us who have adopted know that our adopted children are “our own.” Yet this question posed by my friend revealed a fear that lay within himself, and in the minds of many prospective adoptive parents.

My wife and I met when we were in the eighth grade. We married seven years later, at the age of twenty. We talked about adoption before we were married, but did not envision how large a role it would play in our life together. Three years into our marriage, we received a diagnosis that determined conception would be impossible for us.

Read more (PDF)

No comments:

Post a Comment