CONTACT YOUR SENATORS TO ASK THAT THE ADOPTION TAX CREDIT BE INCLUDED IN TAX REFORM
On June 27th Senators Baucus and Hatch circulated a Dear Colleague letter to Members of the United States Senate asking them for their participation in tax reform. Members were informed that it is the Committee’s preference that the process start with a “blank slate” - eliminate all tax expenditures, both corporate and individual provisions. They were also told that to be re-included in the tax code a provision or proposal had to: (1) help grow the economy, (2) make the tax code fairer, or (3) effectively promote other important policy objectives.
In response to this, Senators are now preparing letters which include their priorities for tax reform. These letters are due to the Finance Committee by July 26th. In order for your Senators to be able to incorporate your ask into their letters, we need you to reach out to them by July 19th. The Executive Committee has prepared and distributed the attached letter to Members of Congress and asked for them to include the adoption tax credit on their list of priority measures. We need you to do the same.
We are calling on you today to ask you to:
1. Email or send your Senator the attached sample template, personalized by you, asking them to demonstrate their support for the Adoption Tax Credit by including it in their list of priorities for tax reform and cosponsoring S. 1056.
2. Call your Senator and ask them to demonstrate their support for the Adoption Tax Credit by including it in their list of priorities for tax reform and cosponsoring S. 1056.
· For talking points on why the adoption tax credit meets the established standard for tax reform see the letter sent to Members by the Executive Committee (attached) and http://adoptiontaxcredit.org/script-for-july-2013/
· If you need to find your Senators go to: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm.
· Or call the Capitol Operator at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to his or her office. Then ask to speak to the legislative assistant that handles adoption or tax issues.
3. Forward this email to your contacts and other supporters and ask them to weigh in with their Member of Congress on the importance of the Adoption Tax Credit.
4. Reply to this email to let us know which Senators you have contacted.
Thank you for taking a few minutes to contact your legislators on this important issue!
With warm regards,
The Adoption Tax Credit Working Group’s Executive Committee: