Monday, March 2, 2020

Building Ramps

wheelchair
When we first got into foster care, I remember thinking that it would be such an amazing opportunity to get to help children become who they were meant to be by giving them love and stability. I thought that love would be enough to watch kids develop and change in ways they never had before. That they would be able to become healed and healthy and move forward as new versions of themselves. While in many ways this was a part of our experience, I had to come to terms with the reality that love, in fact, is not enough. That stability provides a basis for health but trauma changes the brain and the way the brain functions. And most importantly that relationships; real, healthy, loving relationships, were the best shot any of our kids had at a healthy life. It was then that I decided to put aside my notions of what I thought the transformations would look like and get into the business of building ramps. Because for those of us fostering and adopting children out of these hard places, we are in the business of ramp building.

No comments:

Post a Comment