Dear Adoption Community:
USCIS has announced, via the Federal Register, proposed fee increases for some of their services, including those that impact adoptive families. You can learn more about the proposed fee increases and how to provide your comments here.
You can ask your Members of Congress to sign this letter regarding USCIS’s proposed adoption fee increases. The deadline to sign this letter is noon on this Thursday, June 30th. We’ll have to ask fast!
We encourage you to take 15 minutes to call the DC office of both of your Senators and your Representative. (Find them here.)
Here are some basic suggestions for that call:
- Ask to speak to the person who handles international adoption issues
- Ask them to ask their boss to sign the letter increasing USCIS fees for adoptive families
- Tell them to contact the offices of Senator Blunt, Senator Klobuchar or Representative Franks by noon on Thursday, June 30th to sign the letter.
- Ask for the staffer’s email to forward them a copy of the letter and explain how to sign on. (Check out the sample email below!)
- Don’t forget to send that follow-up email! Polite persistence helps get the job done!
Dear NAME OF INTERNATIONAL ADOPTION STAFFER,
Thanks for taking my call today! I hope Representative/Senator XYZ will support this letter to prevent burdensome USCIS fee cost increases from impacting adoptive families.
Join Senators Blunt and Klobuchar, Representative Franks and others in this important effort to support adoptive families.
Please contact Lauren_McCormack@blunt.senate.gov, Shannon_Dorsey@Klobuchar.Senate.gov, or Chelsea.firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on this Thursday, June 30th to sign on to this important letter.
Thanks for supporting adoption and let me know if you have any questions!