An Adoption Learning Partners webinar co-sponsored by Joint Council on International Children's Services
Webinar Reminder: Identity in Adoption
Mirrors and Windows
Thursday, May 7, 2015
7:00 PM Central
Q&A: 8:00 PM
Have you ever wondered just how much nature vs. nurture will play a role in your adopted child's identity formation?
How will they balance these influences as they pull together their own understanding of who they are?
What can you do to help them?
Join moderator Leah Bloom, LMFT, an adopted person who was adopted from Korea, as she leads our panel of adopted persons through a discussion about the intricacies of identity formation in adoption. Our panel - adopted domestically, internationally and from foster care - will reflect back on their own experiences and answer YOUR questions about such things as:
- What their adoptive parents did that helped them through the journey
- What they wish their parents had done
- Additional supportive elements and resources that have helped them mold their identity formation
- Privacy concerns in sharing their adoption story
- Feelings of loss related to their adoption what tends to trigger this
- Curiosity and feelings about biological parents and how much they identify with them