Thursday, April 30, 2015

'Gotcha Day,' Meeting Your Adopted Child by Michael Hicks

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patrick-hicks/gotcha-day-meeting-your-adopted-child_b_7102480.html

By Patrick Hicks

On the eve of his son's adoption from South Korea, one writer looks back on what that night now means

n-KOREAN-BABY-large570

Most parents go to a hospital to meet their child for the first time. My wife and I went to the Omaha airport, and it was there, shortly before midnight, that our internationally-adopted son arrived from South Korea. He was 51 weeks old.

It was a joyful and overwhelming moment for us, but for him, it was obviously terrifying. Who were these people? Where was his foster mother? Why was a stranger holding him and where was he being taken? Everything he knew was gone. Missing. Even now, five years later, if I close my eyes, I can still hear his shrieks of terror.

Read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment