- Love your kids with your whole heart. Love may not be everything, but it is a great step in the right direction.
- Let your children know that you are always open to talking about adoption and race by bringing these topics up periodically. Look for opportunities in your everyday life where race or genetics or adoption comes up naturally.
- Every so often, check in with your child to see what they are experiencing with adoption and with transracial adoption. Don’t assume they will tell you on their own even if you are receptive to the conversation.
- It is easier if you adopt more than one child of color. Having someone else in the family of your race makes life easier.
- Hang out with other mixed race families. Your children need to see that there are other families that look like theirs. It is all the better if some of these families are also adoptive families.