HB1463, signed into law by Governor Beverly Perdue on July 21, 2010, expands the Confidential intermediary program.
HB1463 will allow adoptees age 18 (instead of 21) and older to be able to use the CI program. It will also allow:
- Adult biological siblings of adult adoptees
- Adult biological half siblings of adult adoptees
- Adult family members of deceased adoptees
- Adult family members of a deceased biological parent to use the Confidential Intermediary program.
- This bill also allows an agency acting as a Confidential Intermediary to obtain a certified copy of a death certificate of the person who is the subject of the search and deliver it to the person who is searching.