Published on May 7, 2013 by AdomHomeCooking
Ingredients in this recipe for 4 Adults:
- 4 cups of rice
- 8 pieces of Chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 3 large onions
- Pepper, garlic, ginger (amount optional)
- Chicken seasoning/ seasoning of choice
- 2 cups mixed veggies
- 1 can Tomato Plumps &Tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- Maggie cube( optional)
- Prepare chicken, wash and pat dry.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt to season
- Blend onion, ginger, garlic and pepper.
- Add to the chicken, add chicken season if you want.
- Steam the chicken for about 8-10 min.
- Blend plump tomatoes, with some onion and pepper depending on how spicy you want your Jollof.
- Slice the remaining onions into medium sizes.
- Start making the stew or gravy by frying the sliced onions in about 3 table spoons of veggie oil and allow to cook for about 2 mins
- Add 4 tablespoons of tomato puree and keep stirring for about 8 min till it is reduced.
- Add the blended tomato mixture and allow to cook and reduce for about 10 more minutes, stirring intermittently.
- When the steamed chicken is ready, strain and reserve the stock, allow stock to cool.
- Deep fry chicken for the golden brown crusty finish.
- Put the fried chicken aside.
- Add the stock to the stew and allow to cook for about 5 minutes
- Add your chicken to the stew( optional as chicken can be served separately when the entire meal is done).
- Add the mixed veggies and cook for a couple of mins.( scoop some stew out if preferred to be served with Jollof later).
- Add the rice and reduce the heat to very low. Cover the rice with kitchen foil and allow the food the steam through.
- Check and keep stirring intermittently till rice is cooked through, about 20 min.
- Scoop some of the rice in a small bowl and press to form a nice mound, turn into your serving plate. Add your chicken.
- Can be served with salad ,gravy, coleslaw etc.
Enjoy your meal.